Thursday, April 8, 2010

Growing Goji Berry Plants


In my search for the best goji plants and seeds I became frustrated and overwhelmed. Those feelings led me to the decision to just take the seeds out of the organic dried fruit that I already had in my kitchen! I purchased some recycled seed starting trays that came pre-filled with organic starter soil. Taking the seeds out of each dried berry was very tedious and not much fun at all. Each berry had between 25 to 45 or so seeds inside it so at least I didn't have to do that many!

After I had all of my supplies, the trays with dirt and the seeds, I was ready to start! I put five seeds in each cell. With two trays at 36 cells each, I planted 360 Goji seeds! I covered the seeds in their holes, the place they will call home for a while, and then sprinkled some luke warm water over them and placed them in the sun by our front door. I already love these little guys and gals!!

Planted on Thursday morning, April 8, 2010. The weather is sunny and 50 degrees. I wonder how long until we see some sprouts, if we get any at all...


Friday, April 9, 2010




Last night I finally found what I was looking for! It took almost a week of researching online in my free time but I did find a website with very detailed information on goji seeds, plants and thorough care instructions. Today I took my seed starting tray (pictured above)and made some changes. After giving it some more water I covered it with plastic (used the plastic it came wrapped in)and poked holes all over it so air could still circulate. Then, I placed the tray in shade, not sun. The plastic cover is said to speed up the germination process and the seeds apparently don't need sun until they are established plants.

Tip: someone else said they cut their dried fruit in half and planted them like that with success.

No comments:

Post a Comment